Saturday, February 5, 2011

Welcome To My World!

Hello Friends!

Welcome to my first attempt at blogging!  When I told my son that I was going to give this a try, at first he just stared at me in disbelief, then he asked why, and finally he tried to explain to me how blogging got started.  Then, of course, he walked away as I got that dazed look on my face that says, "I really want to understand what you're telling me, but my brain can only take in a limited amount of information, and you surpasssed that limit about 10 minutes ago.  I'm sorry!" 

He and I are at interesting points in our lives.  He's attempting to create a new computer application business (believe me, that's as far as I understand it when he tries to share) and I'm 53, looking for new and exciting challenges.  Maybe it's a mid-life crisis.  I'm not really sure. 

We live in southeast Nebraska along the Missouri River.  I love the trees, the river, the nature trails, the birds, the squirrels (except when they are hanging off my kitchen window).  I think they're giving me a piece of their mind, but I'm not sure.  You see, we just moved here a few months ago and I must not do things as the previous tenants did, because every once in a while I catch one of them hanging onto my kitchen window screen just chattering away.  And it doesn't sound like he/she is very happy with me.  No one gave me instructions on the squirrels around here so I'm afraid I'm at a loss.  I've never had squirrels that talked to me before, except from the tops of the trees.  These little guys sit on my deck, on my table and make themselves right at home.  It's a little disconcerting when I sneak out on my deck in my pj's first thing in the morning to let my dog out and they're sitting there acting as if I interrupted them.   Why do I feel guilty for interrupting whatever they were doing out there?    Goal #1:  Become friendly with the natives.

I mentioned my dog; well, actually she's my son's dog.  He got her for his 9th birthday promising, as all kids do, that he'd be responsible and take care of her "forever."  Well, of course, that didn't last very long and as the years went by and he became busier with his friends and school activities and all the extra curricular activities, she became "our" dog.  Now that he's gone most of the time, she's "my" dog.  She still gets excited when he comes in and he immediately pats her and gives her a treat, but mostly she's my buddy.  This little, black cocker spaniel is the friend that greets me at the door, always happy to see me no matter what the day has brought.  She loves to snuggle with me while I watch television or read a book.  She "assists" me while I am in the kitchen.  She has assumed sole responsibility for the recliner and/or the back of the sofa depending on which activity she's currently interested in:  watching out the window or sleeping.  Her favorite past time is removing all "pests" from her yard.  These could be squirrels, rabbits, birds, children, neighbors, the mailman, or me--depending on the day.  She'd never, ever hurt anyone, but she loves to exercise her vocal cords whenever possible. I don't know what I'd do without her.

I hope that you'll all come back tomorrow!  I hope that you will all help me to figure out this "blogging" business and become friends in the process.  Maybe we'll learn some things from each other and hopefully we'll have some fun. More importantly, we'll live Simply Faith!

No comments: