Monday, March 21, 2011

It's a Do-Over!

picture courtesy of Gracebook.com


I was reading through the Facebook postings from the weekend and noticed that there was a very clear change in the tone of those comments from Saturday to Sunday.  Everyone was excited for the day on Saturday with lots of planned activities and fun.  Sunday was a day for church and family, more somber and serene.  There were more pictures uploaded on Sunday.  But Sunday evening, there was a definite change...much more lamenting about the weekend ending and about the duties of the next day and the week ahead.  And I started thinking about that (I know, big surprise, huh)?

It is a fact that more people die of heart attacks on Mondays than any other day of the week.  There are more heart attacks from 4:00 A.M. to 10:00 A.M. on Mondays than any other time.  There are also more suicides on Mondays than any other day of the week.  Interesting!  Are you aware that this phenomenon, while not isolated in this country, shows itself much more clearly in the United States than in other countries?  Let's see, we're the most powerful nation in the world, with the best health care system.  Supposedly, we have the best of everything, so why would the day of the week create such havoc in our lives?


Perhaps we should take a look at just how we're "spending" our days.  If the very thought of Monday, creates illness, then what is there about Monday that causes it?  Is it the people you work with?  Is it the work itself?  I can honestly say, as I sit here and think about it, that I don't think I've ever held a job that made me dislike the idea of going there, on Monday or any other day.  There were times that going to work was not fun, but those times were short-lived and I knew they would pass.  I can't imagine going to work every day to something that I hated so much it made me sick.  What a horrible way to live your life!  I've known people who felt this way and I always encouraged them to make changes:  find ways to make your work better or find a different job that made you feel happier about yourself and the work you do. 

My goodness, life is too short to be so miserable that you make yourself sick.  Remember, what you focus on, you get more of, so if you're focusing on how unhappy you are and how much you hate what you do, then you will just get more unhappiness and hate.  DO SOMETHING to make it better!  We all have choices.  We like to think that we don't, but even not making a choice is a choice.  You control your destiny by what you choose.  So.....change your choices!  It's never to late for a "do-over." Go to school or just enroll in a class, learn a new skill or trade, change positions where you work, change shifts, transfer, find a new job or two new jobs, but DO SOMETHING!

I have a lovely picture with a quote on it that I read every morning:

 "I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning."  (J.B. Priestley) 

Not only is Monday morning a new day, a fresh start, it is a new week, a whole week of fresh starts.  And if this week doesn't work quite the way you planned, you can start over again next week.  Let's make the changes to bring these statistics to a roaring halt!  Make the changes!  Seize the day instead of whining about it!  You have a fresh start!  It's a do-over day!

No comments: