Thursday, September 15, 2011

If You Don't Stand For Something You'll Fall For Anything


A saleswoman passed a particular corner each day on her way to work.  For more than a week she observed a young girl trying to sell a floppy-eared puppy.  The saleswoman finally said to the girl, "Honey, if you really want to sell lthis dog, then I suggest you clean him up, brush his coat, raise your price, and make people think they're getting something big."  At noon, the saleswoman noticed the girl had taken her advice.  The puppy was groomed and sitting under a big sign:  "TREEMENNDOUS Puppy for Sale --$5,000."

The saleswoman smiled and gulped, determined to tell the girl later that she may have overpriced the puppy.  To her surprise on the way home she saw the puppy was gone!  Flabbergasted, the woman sought out the girl to ask if she had really sold the dog for $5,000.

The girl replied, "I sure did, and I want to thank yo for all your help."  The saleswoman stuttered, "How in the world did you do it?" The girl said, "It was easy.  I just took two $2,500 cats in exchange!"

While this story is silly, it makes a good point.  How many people do you know who don't know what it is that they stand for?  They sway in the breeze and light upon this idea or that person only to move on with the next breeze.  And then what are they left with in the end?

The older I get the more I realize how important it is to decide for myself what it is I stand for, not against, because when we stand against something we merely add power to that idea.  It's when we stand for something that we begin to see good things come to us. 

I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there.
Mother Teresa

No comments: