Saturday, September 3, 2011

People Don't Care How Much You Know

Care (mat...

Until They Know How Much You Care...About Them.

On a bitter cold Virginia evening, an old man waited on a path by a river, hoping for someone on a horse to carry him across.  His beard was glazed with frost and his body grew numb before he finally heard the thunder of horses' hooves.  Anxiously he watched as several horsemen appeared.  He let the first pass by without making an effort to get his attention, then another and another.  Finally, only one rider remained.  As he drew near, the old man caught his eye and asked, "Sir, would you mind giving me a ride to the other side?"

The rider helped the man onto this horse and, sensing he was half-frozen, decided to take him all the way home, which was several miles out of the way.  As they rode, the horseman asked, "Why didn't you ask one of the other men to help you?  I was the last one.  What if I had refused?"  The old man said, "I've been around a while, son, and I know people pretty well.  When I looked into their eyes and saw they had no concern for my condition, I knew it was useless to ask.  When I looked into your eyes, I saw kindness and compassion."

At the door of the old man's house the rider resolved, "May I never get too busy in my own affairs that I fail to respond to the needs of others."  And with that, Thomas Jefferson turned and directed his horse back to the White House.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1 Corinthians 13:2


No comments: