Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Snowdays



Remember when you were a kid and you dreamed of a snow day?  One day was good, a couple of days was even better!  A free day to sleep in, watch television, play in the snow...whatever you wanted to do.  Today is one of those days.  The wind is blowing like crazy, the snow is still coming down--sort of, and the schools are closed for miles and miles around.

I thought, when I was younger, that kids were the only ones who really appreciated the snow. The adults always looked so, I don't know, grumpy when it snowed.  After all, there is the shoveling and the snow blowing and the getting to work and all the regular stuff through the snow.  You never dreamt that there might be adults who wished for snow days too.

And then I became an adult, well in age at least.  In fact, I was the teacher in the classroom of the kids dreaming about a snow day.  And you know what?  I still dreamt of snow days.  Especially after Christmas when the winter doll drums kicked in and you just needed the world to stop for a little bit.  You didn't want too many snow days because that would prolong school, but just the number already included in the school calendar. 

So, why are snow days still so great?  After all, I'm an adult (we won't go through that again).  I can choose to take a day for myself any time I want.  It's a healthy thing to do...give yourself what I call a mental health day.  When my son was younger we would do that sometimes, just take a day in the middle of everything and stop the world.  We'd spend the day doing something that we hadn't done for a while.  It was wonderful and we would re-enter the regular routine the next day geared up and ready to face it all over again.

A dear friend and co-worker came to work on Monday.  Usually he bounces up the stairs and when he reaches the top just outside my office, he announces, "I'm here!"  There is a light in his eyes and you can see that he is ready for the day, the week, the year.  But on Monday, there was no bouncing and no light.  When I asked him if he felt well, he was surprised at my question and tried to assure me that all was well.  I assured him that it obviously was not and he let down his guard and said, "How did you know?"  He said it was really a lot of little things and it just felt like he was kind of dead inside.  He told me that when he has felt like that he usually would take a day to window-shop or just get away---a mental health day!  But he'd been out of the office quite a bit lately, on business, and he needed to be at work to catch up.

Well, God took care of that, and him, today.  Why is it that we tend to give so much of ourselves that we have nothing left?  Why can't we human beings understand that we are only good for others if we are good to ourselves first?  There comes a time we must stop and mend our minds and bodies so that we can continue the work that we do.  If we do not, we face dire consequences and stopping won't be a choice.  Our bodies will force us to stop and take notice. 

So, I'm going to take this day, stay inside and listen to the wind howl, snuggle up with my dog and ... I'm not sure what, but I know it will be the best snow day I've had (since the last one).

Yea!!!! No school, or anything else, today!!!

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 

No comments: