Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I Love to Laugh!

Laughter has many benefits.
Laughter is good for your soul--and your body!
 ©iStockphoto.com




When was the last time you had a really good laugh?  I LOVE to laugh!  I always have.  Something catches me, and I can chuckle, giggle, and laugh right out loud for the rest of the day, maybe two or three days.  It doesn't take much.  My landlord loves to stop by with his latest joke.  Now these jokes are old, most of them, and sound very similar to the ones I heard when I was teaching school from the kiddos, but he is so excited to tell them and, just like those kids, he waits with anticipation to get my reaction.  He always looks so pleased when I laugh (and I always do). 

I can't imagine living life without a sense of humor.  We all know those people who very seldom smile, let alone laugh.  It's like they're afraid their faces will crack or something if they smiled.  I actually had a lady that told me, many years ago, that she didn't smile because it made wrinkles.  Well, good!  Then when people look at your face they can see how happy your life's been.  (At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

I recently watched a video from YouTube with a baby who laughed because her father was tearing paper.  Now, I didn't find the paper-tearing humorous but it sure was fun to watch that baby!  I watched it several times and I still giggle when I think about that baby giggling and laughing. 

You know, laughter really is good medicine.  It can help relieve pain, bring greater happiness, and even increase immunity.  There are even laughter yoga clubs now. I had to check them out.  Dr. William Fry, well-known research scientist from Stanford University scientifically proved that 10 minutes of healthy laughter is equal to 30 minutes on the rowing machine. Laughter is the best cardio workout. As an exercise it has similar benefits as compared to other aerobic activities like jogging, dining, swimming, and cycling. Laughter Yoga is ideally suitable for people who cannot walk, have no time to exercise like business professionals, and those who are bedridden.

So, look at all the therapy I've had over the years!  And it was free!  What could be better?  OK, so I have some wrinkles around my eyes...just a few, but the positives far outweigh the negatives and the best part is, it's just fun!  Isn't that the important part?  Remember, it's the only life we've got.  We can choose how we face each day.  Find the humor; laugh at something, laugh at nothing!  It's good for you!

No comments: