Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Secret of Contentment is the Realization That Life is a Gift, Not a Right

Former nationally syndicated columnist and current author, Anna Quindlen, seems to have enjoyed success at everything she has attempted.  But in taking a fellow commentator to task after he made light of teenage problems, Anna was reminded of the two attempts to end her own life she had made at age 16.  She writes, "I was really driven through my high school years.  I always had to be perfect in every way, ranging from how I looked to how my grades were.  It was too much pressure."

In the early 1970's, Anna's mother died from ovarian cancer.  This tragedy cured Anna from any desire to commit suicide. Her attitude toward life changed.  "I could never look at life as anything but a great gift.  I realized I didn't have any business taking it for granted."

It is only when we recognize life as "temporary" that we truly come to grips with what is important.  When we face our own immortality, our priorities quickly come into focus.

Consider your life as God's gift to you.  Every moment is precious, so cherish each one.  In doing so, you'll find purpose and meaning for each day.

But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
1 Timothy 6:6,7

No comments: