Monday, November 21, 2011

Do A Good Deed; Meet A Need




Once, a young orphan girl, despondent and lonely, walked through a meadow and saw a small butterfly caught in a thorn bush.  The more the butterfly struggled to free itself, the deeper the thorns cut into its fragile body.

Filled with compassion, the girl released the butterfly.  But, instead of flying away, the butterfly transformed into an angel and said gently, "To reward you for your kindness, I will do whatever you would like."

The girl thought for a moment, then replied, "I want to be happy!"

"Very well," the angel said.  Then the heavenly creature leaned close to the girl and whispered something in her ear.

Many years later, as the orphan lay on her deathbed after a full and happy life, her friends gathered around her.  "Won't you tell us your secret now," they pleaded.  With a labored smile, the woman answered, "An angel told me that no matter where I went in life, I would find people who needed me--people rich or poor, young or old, meek or self-assured--and meeting those needs would bring me happiness and satisfaction."

Somewhere in your life there is someone who needs you.  Are you willing to be an angel and meet that need?

Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.  Honor one another above yourselves.
Romans 12:10

No comments: