Saturday, August 20, 2011

Courage Is...




Someone asked me this week why I was so courageous.  When I stopped laughing, I shared with them that I don't see myself as a courageous person.  I never have. 

This person went on to tell me that I was one of the most courageous people she'd ever known. My response to her was, "Tell me more."  I was intrigued as to what I might have done to give her this impression.  I am determined, certainly.  I am not shy with my opinions, without a doubt.  I believe in standing up for what I think is right, most definitely.  But courageous?

Her answer was really very simple, "You don't let anyone or anything stop you from doing what you feel called to do.  I've never been brave enough to do that."

Isn't that interesting?  See, I envision courage as exactly what Mary Ann Radmacher says in her quote above.  I have been known to roar once in a while, but as a friend said to me several years ago now, "It takes a lot to get you there, but when you do...look out."  I just don't roar very often. 

I am much more likely to be the second part of the quote: sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."  That is much more me. 

Does that make me courageous?  I guess like so many things in life, it's in the eye of the beholder. It's certainly given me something to think about this week.  

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13. 

No comments: