Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Reflections…

Reflections…
1. The return of light or sound waves from a surface.
2. An image produced by or as if by a mirror
3. Something that brings blame or disgrace 
4. Careful thought
Each definition comes back to something emitted and something coming back from it.


We have had some beautiful sunrises and sunsets here the last few days.  It is my favorite time each day but I’ve come to realize that it isn’t the sun, itself, that I enjoy as much as the reflections the sun creates with the rest of the sky – the clouds and the jet streams, the birds and mother nature.  Too many clouds don’t allow the light to shine through, but a few scattered clouds and that little bit of sun on the horizon and you have something uniquely beautiful. I can lean out on my rail and see the peak of the sun but, by itself, it isn’t all that impressive.  It’s what it does along with the rest of the sky that makes it beautiful.

From my living room I cannot actually see the sun in the east or west but I can sit in my living room and enjoy the reflections across the sky from either direction.  Years ago I taught a science lesson about all of the reasons the light becomes so colorful.  The kids were so impressed by how we were able to split the colors from the light so reflecting on that memory fills me with warm feels as I reminisce about the students and their excitement.  

But as I sit here this morning soaking in the reflections from the sky bouncing from one cloud to another, I am amazed at how that little bit of light in the east is able to spread across the entire length of the sky.  As it bounces off the clouds it becomes more colorful and spreads further still and I think about how like people that is.  

We all know those people that are just a joy to be around and wherever you meet them they are the light.  It is impossible to be radiant all of the time, but these people always help you to feel better just by being near them.  It feels good.  It feels hope-filled. 
 
Then there are those folks we know that we go out of our way to avoid because, instead of light, they reflect mostly darkness.  It feels bad.  It feels discouraging.  It feels cold to be near them. Spending a little time with them makes you feel like you need air to breathe again.  There is only despair and discouragement.  They may be very nice people but it just doesn’t feel good to be with them.  It seems, in these virus-filled, politically-filled times, that there are more and more of these folks.  It’s understandable.

So I ask myself…what am I reflecting this morning and the rest of this day?  Do I reflect the light with all of its colors dancing across the sky or do I reflect the darkness and gloom?

It’s worth reflecting on.

No comments: