Monday, November 7, 2011

A Coincidence Is a Small Miracle Where God Prefers to Remain Anonymous





Victor Frankl was stripped of everything he owned when he was arrested by the Nazis in World War II.  He arrived at Auschwitz with only his manuscript--a book he had been researching and writing for years--sewn into the lining of his coat.  Upon arrival, even that was taken from him.  He later wrote, "I had to undergo and overcome the loss of my spiritual child...  It seemed as if nothing and no one would survive me.  I found myself confronted with the question of whether under such circumstances my life was ultimately void of any meaning."

Days later, the Nazis forced the prisoners to give up their clothes.  In return Frankl was given rags of an inmate who had been sent to the gas chamber.  In the pocket of the garment he found a torn piece of paper--a page from a Hebrew prayer book.  On it was the foremost Jewish prayer, "Shema Yisrael" which begins, "Hear, O Israel!  The Lord our God is one God."

Frankl says, "How should I have interpreted such a 'coincidence' other than as a challenge to live my thoughts instead of merely putting them on paper?"  He later wrote in his classic masterpiece, Man's Search for Meaning, "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Who can put into words and tell the mighty deeds of the Lord?  Or can show forth all the praise that is due Him?
Psalm 106:2

No comments: