Thursday, December 27, 2018

MY ONE WORD




For the past couple of years now I lead a study in which we chose a word to guide the coming days, the next year.  My very first word is still posted on my refrigerator and speaks to me as I work as a reminder that it is not necessary for me to have absolute control.  Now, this is an idea that does not come easily to me first, by my very nature and second, as I'm discovering, by my life experiences. My first word was BE.  Simple, right?  Just BE...to remain unmolested, undisturbed, or uninterrupted.  Let me tell you, it's far easier sounding than doing!  And what I also discovered was that God was about to give me all kinds of lessons in practicing that simple little two-letter word. 


I am leaving you with a gift - peace of mind and heart.  And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give.  So don't be troubled or afraid.  
John 14:27
Message:  Stop being the busy little bee and just be. 

So the second year I was better prepared to choose a word that would, perhaps, be a little easier.  Oh, such foolhardiness!  POSITIVE...meaning find the positive, be the positive.  As prepared as I thought I was, I had no idea what God would lay out for me over the course of this year and being POSITIVE, finding the POSITIVE was not always easy. In fact, a lot of days I didn't find it. I would start each morning with scripture and quotes and prayer to lead me and I would end each night with the same but I have to admit, in looking back over the past 361 days, I fear I failed more than I succeeded...oops!  Darn it!  See how difficult it is?

While the first year held all nature of challenges to BE, POSITIVE went beyond anything I could have imagined.  Major illness, loss of a job, moving to a new community in a new state, leaving such dear loved ones...

It has been a challenge to be sure and I have not been very successful, especially in these last few days of the year.


Watch the way you talk.  Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth.  
Say only what helps, each word a gift.
Ephesians 4:29

Your challenge is not your challenge.  

Now it is time to choose a new word and I have to admit that I'm more than a little gun-shy.  My goodness, the simple little word that is chosen carries so much power!  Who knew?

I have been a teacher in one capacity or another for over forty years.  I know words and I know how powerful they can be to build or destroy, but I never understood the power of a single word and the impact it can have in shaping who we are.  Choosing one word changes our focus from so many things that are demanding our attention every moment of every day to one thing.  And that one thing, that one word, begins to change you from the inside out.  

As I read through my journal that I, quite honestly, had set aside over the past several months I find that perhaps I have learned more than I realized.  If nothing else, I caught myself as I was heading down that less than POSITIVE road.  While my goal was to do my best to totally eliminate the negativity in my head and mouth, maybe I've taken some steps to at least recognize, if not apologize, for the fear that came through.  That's really what it was...fear. Anger over other's actions or inactions.  You know, anger is really just a cover for some other emotion.  So mine is ...  Fear... of not being in control (see that little two-letter word again)?  Fear for someone else.  Fear of someone else.  Fear that ... Oh my goodness!  Do you see how easy it is to forget?

BE.  POSITIVE.  And the next word is...

I really don't know.  I have started my list and I'll begin to work through the words to eventually choose one.  God has brought me through some challenges as I've chosen these words that I couldn't have imagined and He will see me through the next.  I have learned to BE, mostly.  I have learned to look for and find the POSITIVE, sometimes.  But most of all I have learned that whatever word I choose, the Lord will lead me through it.  It might be a bumpy ride full of surprises but here's what came to me this morning,

"God does not call us to a safe faith. He does not promise that we will have a clear view of all that lies ahead. He does not promise us simplicity. Instead, He invites us to embrace a vibrant faith that trusts Him. A faith that is alive and energized, in spite of the unsteady unknowns. His arms are not too short to save and His ears are not dull to hear. He is powerful, capable, compassionate, merciful, holy, just, and faithful."  (from Girlfriends in God, Help for a Heart That Worries, by Gwen Smith).


“Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor is his ear to dull to hear.”
Isaiah 59:1 

When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you.  Psalm 56:3

Hmm...maybe I should add that word to my list.



No comments: